Friday, December 4, 2009

Promises

"By His divine power God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence. And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world's corruption caused by human desires. In view of all this, make every effort to respond to God's promises." -2 Peter 1:3-5

I read those verses this morning the way that I often do, hurriedly so that I can move on with my day. Then I read them a second time and was convicted by the last passage, this idea of 'responding' to God's promises. I love God's promises, they're what keep me going at times. But then I started to take a look at my life and question how often I've actually 'responded' to those promises with bold acts of faith and trust. In the past, not often at all. I'll read them, be moved by them, and then continue living my life without responding to these incredible promises.

It's so easy to hear the promises of God's word and say that I believe in them. People love to quote Philippians 4:13. Another one is Proverbs 3:5-6. They are without a doubt two of my favorite promises. But it's sad to me because I don't see many people basing their lives on these promises, I don't see many believers 'responding' to these promises in the lifestyle they are living, myself included. I see more people following their own desires, chasing things and dreams that they full well know are going to pass away, things that they think they need.

My whole life I've lived that way. Chasing things that I know are doing absolutely nothing for the kingdom. Again, I hate to sound all super spiritual because that's not my intention. So if I'm somehow coming off that way, I apologize, I'm just trying to be real. I've lived this life thinking that I somehow know what I need. I don't know what I need. I know what I want, but I don't know what I need. What I would like is a stable, good paying job, a beautiful, godly, supportive wife, about 3 or 4 kids, a nice house somewhere on the coast, and a couple cars in the driveway. Those are not necessarily bad things to want, but have I stopped for one second to ask the God who created me what He wants? What I actually need? Not recently.

I've quoted His promises for too long without living by them, without responding to them. I can't do it anymore. I'm taking a big step of faith. I'm holding onto the promise of Matthew 6:33. "Seek the kingdom of God above ALL else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything you need." I'm going to attempt to actually respond to that promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment