Wednesday, December 2, 2009

"Instead Of A Show"

"Your eyes are closed when you're praying
You sing right along with the band
You shine up your shoes for services
There's blood on your hands
You turned your back on the homeless
And the ones that don't fit in your plan
Quit playing religion games
There's blood on your hands"

-Jon Foreman

Heard this song today, to be honest I didn't even like it that much. Love Jon Foreman but thought this particular song was just meh. But then I started to actually listen to the words and I was convicted by it. I've been there. I've closed my eyes and I've sang the words to these songs, all the while not even focusing on the One that I'm singing to. It's so easy to get caught up in the 'feel good' of the music, and to put on your Sunday best and forget the real reason that we meet together. When I really stop and think about who I'm singing to, it's pretty intimidating to be honest. Definitely made me think.

No comments:

Post a Comment