Sunday, December 27, 2009

Santa Monica Blvd.

It's been 4 days and the fire hasn't dwindled. And so I'll write in hopes that it continues to burn more and more each and every day. Then when I get caught up with myself, my problems, and other distractions, I will look here to remember where my heart is, where my heart needs to be. Where everyone's heart who carries the name of Jesus needs to be.

Three weeks ago I went to a show in Hollywood. It was one of those nights that dropped into the mid twenties. Beyond cold. As I was sprinting out of the Troubador and down Santa Monica Blvd to get back into my car and turn on the heater, I looked to my right to see a homeless man bundled up the best that he possibly could be in the doorway of a local shop. His sleeping bag too small for his body, and his feet hanging out of the end. My heart sank into my chest like it hadn't in months. There was nothing that I could do, I felt at the time, and I didn't have a dime on me. So I shook the thought from my head and continued jogging to my car. After resting my hands up against the vents of the heater and gaining feeling back into my own hands, I put on some music and started home. My heart rose back into its normal position until my head hit the pillow that night.

I laid there for a good 30 minutes just thinking about how blessed I really am. I have a warm bed to come home to every night. I have a roof over my head. I have a kitchen full of food less than 20 feet from where I type these words. I have an amazing family that I love and can always count on. The man on Santa Monica Blvd and the thousands of other homeless people that sleep the city streets less than 45 miles from my house have none of that. I'm not trying to make this sound any more dramatic than it needs to be, but it really made me think, and I won't dumb down how desperate these people really are.

A few days went by and I started to get back into the routine of my comfortable life. I had a gang of thoughts running through my head and just about the last thing that I was thinking about were people who were literally dying for something to eat. A few hours later I received a text from a friend saying she was trying to get some people together to drive down to Santa Monica to feed the homeless Christmas Eve dinner. I committed and didn't think twice about it. I had spent a few nights on skid row in the past, but apparently had forgotten what an experience it is to just forget about my own desires, my own selfish wants, and to love the unloved. Still, I didn't expect much more than a few shy smiles as I passed out dinner to the people who would spend Christmas morning alone. Regardless, I was stoked for the opportunity and of the selflessness of the other 5 people that were going, and I didn't want to underestimate what God was and is capable of doing.

I would love to write down every little intricate detail of what happened, but for times sake, I'll condense. It's amazing to look back at the situation, see how many things could have went wrong, and then see how God protected and provided in every situation. I think every person that we talked with impacted each of us in a different way. For me personally, one particular man impacted me the most. His name was Richard. He didn't look much older than 30 and was the one of the sweetest, happiest guys that I've met in a very long time. Homeless and happy? Sounds like an oxymoron. Not only that, but he seemed content. Let me clarify. There is a big difference between a homeless person and a bum. A bum will always be a bum, they're content being a bum because it's the only life they know and they've learned to like it. They have no intentions of getting off of the streets. Richard was the furthest thing from a bum. But he was content in the fact that he realized his homelessness was from God. God has placed him in his current situation for reasons unknown to me, and I'm sure unknown to Richard, but he is content in that and seems to be trusting God with the situation. It blew my mind to see that kind of trust come from a man who has nothing. I met him with nothing more than a coat on his back and I didn't hear him complain one time. It really made me look at myself and the stupid things that I want, that I think I need. He has to worry about what he is going to eat tomorrow. He has to worry about staying warm tonight. He woke up on Christmas morning with no one to even smile at him. And yet I sit here and complain that I don't have enough money in my accounts. That I'm hungry. It makes me sick to think about how many stupid things I worry about.

I could write paragraph after paragraph about the time that I shared with Richard, even though we only talked for 45 minutes. For any one who was there and spoke to him, I'm sure you feel the same. All I ask is that you pray for him. Everyone, please just pray for him.

I wrote this extensive post for a few reasons. I don't want to forget the experience. I don't want this to be something that I do when 'I feel like it'. It needs to be a regular thing. As Christians, we are commanded to love these people. Jesus says repeatedly all through scripture that if we truly love him, we will follow his commandments. He also commands that we remain in His love, and that the only way to remain in His love is to keep His commandments (John 15). I don't understand how people who claim to love Jesus and to love people, can sit back, pursue what they want to pursue, enjoy what they want to enjoy, and turn a blind eye to the people that we are commanded to love. I was that person, I still am that person, but I'm trying every single day to change from that person. Because I believe with my whole heart that I can't just believe and follow some of the Word. It's all or none. I think any professing believer would agree with that statement. For your own sakes, read 1 John 3:16-17. Let God's Word speak to you in itself. If you are turning a blind eye to these people desperately in need of your love, then God's love is not within you. Blunt, yes. But I'd rather be blunt then let a brother or sister continue living a lie.

It's just something that has really laid heavy on my heart lately, and I wanted to share it in hopes of challenging others to consider the way that they are living their life, and the things that they are consuming their time with--as well as asking that fellow believers do the same for me. That they might hold me accountable in reminding me to keep my heart where it needs to be, where it is commanded to be. These people need our love.

"For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me. Then they also will answer, saying, "Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?" Then He will answer them saying, "Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me." And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life." Matthew 25:42-46

"We know what real love is because Jesus gave up His life for us. So we also ought to give up our lives for our brothers and sisters. If someone has enough money to live well and sees a brother or sister in need but shows no compassion, how can God's love be in that person?" 1 John 3:16-17

No comments:

Post a Comment