Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Someone I Used To Know

5/19/2009 10:33 PM

"I want to die at age eighty. I want to be hand in hand with my husband, lying in the soft, fine sand of our secret spot on the beach. On this beautiful August night, we will have brought our guitars to our secret place, played our last acoustic hymn in our earthly bodies, eagerly awaiting the greater adventure about to take hold of us. There will be a full moon, and the constellations will shine brighter than ever before, we will be in complete and utter peace. A cold, sad death, full of tears and melancholy goodbyes is not for me. I know where I'm going, and for that, I can only imagine with eager anticipation to dance with my Savior one day. A comfortable, American life is not for me. And when my day does come, I want to go confident that I spent every day since I dedicated my life to Jesus living completely for Him. Maybe I won't die with my husband on the beach; I might die in Cambodia, in an attempt to fight human trafficking. Or I might die in Africa, from an open wound around a bleeding AIDS patient, who shared with me the object of their fatality. Or I might die tomorrow night, on my way home from Bible study, by a driver who had too much to drink. Regardless how I go, I can say with fervent honesty that my goals and priorities in life are radically different then the goals of most other high school students, or any normal human being for that matter. I don't want to waste my life chasing the American dream. I want to spend my life fighting for what matters most to me, my faith. I want to do everything I can to help others find the love and peace that I have been graciously and freely given, the love that can only be found in Jesus Christ. I want to be called radical, extreme, and maybe even weird, if that’s what it takes to help others learn. Life is short, so what matters to me is what comes after. It might seem odd that I haven’t written any other life goals, because I have none. I want to love others, and humble myself. Not for the glory of being a hero, because no good works I do comes from me."

I used to know this girl. These were her dreams.
I don't know what changed her mind, or where she went, but I miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment